Match Official Code of Conduct
Match Officials (Referees and Assistant Referees) have both responsibilities and privileges with respect to the Game and shall realize and respect their responsibilities and duties to both the Club and to the Game.
A Match Official, to the best of his/her ability, shall:
- Study, interpret and enforce the Laws of the Game, before, during and after the game.
- Conduct himself/herself with dignity both on and off the field.
- Lead by example in order to earn the respect of those whom they serve.
- Ensure the safety of the participants.
- Arrive at the pitch prior to the match so as to allow adequate time to prepare.
- Study and follow the Rules and Regulations of the Leagues in which they officiate.
- Be neat in appearance and maintain a suitable level of physical fitness.
- Treat all participants equally and apply the Laws of the Game consistently regardless of who or what they are.
- Facilitate the teaching of and respect for the Laws of the game to players in an age appropriate way.
- Submit match documentation to the appropriate individual within the specified timeframe once the game has concluded.
- Strive to improve themselves by participating in refresher and upgrade courses.
- Refrain from using profane, insulting and otherwise offensive language and gestures.
- Refrain from publicly criticizing other officials, another soccer organization or any participant.
- Refrain from making any statements to the media related to any game in which they were involved.
- Avoid discussing the merits of one’s calls with spectators and game officials.
- Briefly explain the relevant law to youth and adult players who inquire, as long as play has stopped.
- Abstain from knowingly consuming or using potentially intoxicating substances prior to, or while, officiating.
- Maintain his/her status as a referee with the Canada Soccer and Ontario Soccer.
Individuals who officiate for Rockwood FC may be subject to disciplinary action for not complying with certain aspects of this Code of Conduct.